23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Corrosion Resistance of 2024 v.s. 7075

(2001)

I need information on the expected results of salt spray testing of Type I anodizing on 2024 compared to 7075. My feeling is that 7075 would test much better due to the zinc alloy v.s. the copper in the 2024. Can anyone point out reference documents that support my thoughts?

Peter Faxon
Coastal Multichrome Inc. - Oxnard, California

(2001)

I think I have read the Mil Spec for chemical conversion treatment, but I cannot remember the exact MIL number. There is a provision that calls for an alternative alloy (like 6061) other than 2024 because like you said it is rich in copper and therefore more susceptible to corrosion.

Dado Macapagal
- Toronto, Ontario