23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Search for Particulate Silver Suspension or Better Idea

(2001)

I am looking for method of coating a porous ceramic monolith with silver. The coating need not be dense - I am trying to increase the electrical conductivity of this porous monolith. I am thinking about air-brushing the monolith with a colloidal or particulate suspension of Ag particles in alcohol (water would be better but is unlikely I guess) and applying a heat treatment.

Do such suspensions of Ag particles exist? If so, I will immediately purchase some. If not, can I make such a suspension? Does anyone have any better ideas as to how I can coat this (poorly conducting) ceramic monolith with Ag. Nb. Electroplating is out the question.

Max Christie
- Tonawanda, New York

(2001)

It looks like what you really need is a "two-part silvering solution". One part contains dissolved soluble silver, the other part a reducing agent that converts the soluble silver to metallic silver.

(2001)

There is a liquid silver solution used for repairing electronic boards and such. brush it on and it produces a conductive film. You could also airbrush it I suppose. There is also a cheaper version not made with silver. An electronics supplier should have it. If your use of the word 'monolith' means BIG then the silver stuff is going to cost quite a bit.

David Domm
- Rochester, New York

(2001)

Dear Max,

You might try a mixture of copper flake, I believe it's more conductive and a lot cheaper. You'll need to add that alcohol and metallic flake mixture into a coating so it will stick to the ceramic, otherwise the alcohol will evaporate, and you'll have a big mess of powder all over the place.

Hope this can help.

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad