Preserving Magnesium Metallic Finish with Clear Coating--Is This Possible?

(2001)

What is the basic chemical concern with coating/plating/finishing magnesium?

I asked a question earlier this year about what is out there with respect to magnesium coating/plating, and I have received many good answers. However, I am looking to see what is the basic science behind the problem. I know that magnesium is highly reactive, but to what? To everything? Is there an environment, however tough to maintain or expensive to create, that would allow for magnesium to be coated with a clear coating (of some formulation) with minimized risk of oxidation or other coating/paint adhesion inhibition?

Any information or theories would be very helpful. It is my job to push this envelope, so anyone doing so please feel free to offer advice.

Davin Saderholm
- Foothill Ranch, California, USA

(2001)

There are many surface finishing processes available for magnesium treatment, depending on the application specified. If you want to keep magnesium metallic appearance with a top clear coat, it is achievable to passivate magnesium in a non-chromate solution followed by clear E-coating.

Ling Hao
- Grand Rapids, Michigan