Surface Preparation of Molybdenum for Ni Plating

(2001)

Q. My plater states molybdenum can only be Ni plated if the material's surface is first mechanically distressed by bead blasting. I have found that in doing so residual stresses are imparted into the surface. In the parts I'm processing these stresses result in warpage of the material when it is subjected to temperatures in the 400 degree F range.

Can molybdenum be plated without the use of mechanical etching or other stress inducing surface preparations? If so, can you tell me who I can contact that plates moly in this fashion?

Gary Murdock
- Syracuse, New York, USA

(2001)

A. Dear Gary,

After sharing this with my technical support department, there is a very strong possibility this can be achieved. Commonly, platers will treat this metal with some form of etching for adhesion purposes, however, to avoid contaminants in the Ni some sort of cleaning must be done on the surface.

Donna Nowak
plating shop - Cleveland, Ohio USA

(2001)

A. Gary,

We've been Nickel plating Moly, Mo/Cu and W/Cu for years without the need to mechanically beadblast.

Steve Chatfield
plating shop - Attleboro, Massachusetts

A. I work with molly every day and everything molly I run gets a chrome acid electro polish and should get a chrome flash.

Peter Mcguire
- auburn New Hampshire