Oxidation rates of copper and other metals

(2001)

Q. For my science fair project, I am testing the varying oxidation rates for common metals. Such metals include Copper, Iron, and Aluminum. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or resources that may be helpful to me, please let me know. Thank you.

Allison K. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA

(2001)

Q. I am also doing the different rates of oxidation of different metals, and I am going to put aluminum, iron, and copper in water, and see how long it takes for them to oxidize, probably just change color. I am not sure, however, how to get these metals in a good sample.

Jess D. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Westwood, Massachusetts

(2005)

A. You can use copper piping for a good copper sample, pieces of aluminum pop cans for an aluminum sample and iron nails for a good iron sample. I did a project using these metals and it turned out great! I hope I was able to help :)

Ashley D. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Miami, Ohio, United States of America

Oxidation rate of copper

(2002)

Q. I need to know the oxidation rate of copper in the temperature range of 100-400 °C. If anyone knows where to find data on this issue, please let me know.

Xu Tang
- Hanover, New Hampshire

Would like to know the oxidation rate of bare copper versus temperature?
The question is related to our oven cure process where the oven cure temperature ends at 100 °C and the oven door is immediately opened, exposing the copper to room temperature.

Martires Fidel
manufacturing - Malaysia