Polishing Polycarbonate With Gaseous Mixture

(2001)

Has anyone heard of polishing polycarbonate in a gaseous mixture? I've seen it a few times. It was a very simple process and it was self contained in a stainless steel enclosure. The operator placed the item in the tank for a few seconds and then removed it quickly. All scratches and machine marks were removed. The problem is that I don't know what the gas was? Any help.......

Cuert Havens
Nova - Colchester,Ct. USA

(2002)

We use a low tech approach. We fill a small oil can with a conical tip on it with WELDON #3. Place it on a hot plate set on low temp. As the liquid heats a thin column of Vapor shoots up from the can. We hold the part in the vapor flow and slowly move the part around to get a uniform finish. This vapor is NASTY! Wear a respirator and goggles [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]! Have great ventilation! If the liquid is heated too much it will boil up and out of the container. I once received a face full of solvent by overheating. It shot up out of the can, off the part, and in my eyes, hence the goggles. WELDON is a plastic solvent glue you can get at plastic suppliers and hobby stores.

The active ingredients are
Methylene Chloride
Trichlorethylene
Methyl Methacrylate Moner

We are looking for a more high tech approach. If anyone knows where we can get professional equipment please let me know.

I hope this info is helpful.

Good luck,

John Niedbalec
Cycle Start - Sunnyvale, California