Plating a Non-Conductive Coating onto Zinc Die-Castings

(2001)

I am presently hard anodizing machined aluminum parts for insulating reasons, to prevent hipotting between metal components. Space constraints prevent me from applying a plastic insulator. I looking to die-cast my parts in zinc and am researching the possibilities of a coating for zinc which could act as an insulator.

Stephen Glaser
Telect Inc - Liberty Lake, Washington USA

(2001)

You probably know this, Mr. Glaser, but your parts could be die-cast in aluminum and you could continue to use the anodized coating as an insulator.

There are no non-conductive electroplatings just due to the way electroplating of metals works. You might be able to electrolytically apply an electrophoretic paint of some sort, but I doubt that it would have robust insulating qualities.

You might want to investigate anodizing of zinc. This is a more exotic technology than anodizing of aluminum because it requires rectifiers which can deliver 100-200 volts, which most plating/anodizing shops don't have and don't want due to the electrocution hazard because most shops use exposed bus bars. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature

(2001)

I have heard of a non conductive coating that is called Whycoat; the company that supplies the Whycoat finish is Whyco Technologies in Thomaston CT. Check them out

Brian Lucas
- Wolcott, CT USA