Magnesium + Hydrochloric Acid Reactions

(2001)

Hi,i'd like to know more about how copper sulphate affects the reaction between magnesium and hydrochloric acid. It's for a school project-help!

Rachel Jefferies
- London, UK

(2001)

Hiya. Don't know much apart from the fact that it catalyses the reaction, presumably by forming some some of complex. Copper is good at forming complexes - being a transition metals, and having a variable oxidation state.THat's about all I know. I've done the reaction just to show copper as a catalyst, and it works really well, but not the details of the exact nature of how it works.

Was hoping for salvation myself - reaction of Mg and acid. Why is it that Mg ribbon that has been cleaned reacts much slower with acid that Mg ribbon with a layer of oxide on it? And it does - very noticeable. I would have thought it would be the other way around? Any ideas?

DAVE BAINTON
- London

(2007)

I believe it has to do with the activation energy required for the particles to bond. The Oxidization of the magnesium provides the alternate means for the reaction to occur. Instead of the HCl just reacting with the raw magnesium, the oxidized magnesium is weakened. I'm not a 100% sure, I was just doing a chem lab on this reaction and found this site. Hope this helps.

Hilary Adams
- London, Ontario