Barrel Plating Problems

(2001)

I am attempting to barrel plate small seals with a geometry that allows them to stack on top of one another. In order to prevent this, we are going to utilize smaller balls in hopes that this will further separate the parts. Does this seem like a viable option? Are there any other steps that we can take, such as increase agitation?

Allen Bosley
- PerkinElmer

(2001)

You don't describe the part nor the size and type of barrel you are using.

Some barrel designs may be more appropriate than others. For very small parts I find a mesh barrel provides greater agitation. Sometimes mixing loads of different size parts (if applicable) may be more beneficial than using media (balls). There is also the old platers trick of putting a plastic rod diagonally across the barrel (ok I know, most old timers used broom sticks but I don't want to date myself).

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

(2001)

Hello ,

The problem you describe is called nesting, and yes, media will help.... you can install breaker bars to the internal flat sections of your cylinders, or have your supplier do it for you. I have also seen breaker blocks installed for the same purpose.

Ron Landrette
plating equipment supplier - Bristol, Connecticut

(2001)

Allen,

Another viable option is to have the part reconfigured or modified by adding dimples to eliminate the nesting of the parts.

Joel Garcia
- McAllen , Texas