23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Removing Salt Stains from Chrome Rims

(2001)

Q. I have 18" chrome rim and got some road salt on it do to ice storm I tried to clean my rims but I still get white spot from the salt what can I do to get rid of the white salt spot because every time I clean them a couple of day later the spots are back and I don't want my rims to get ruined.

Tony Smith
- Monessen Pennsylvania

(2001)

Salt-Away

A. The good news is that it can sometimes take a great deal of dilution to get rid of salt stains, and if you just keep washing them you may get rid of the salt. The bad news is that if the plating is perforated with tiny pits, corrosion products that look a lot like salt will form any time the wheels get wet.

Q. I'm in the military and I'm by the ocean a lot on base. Between the salt in the air and on the road, my rims look really dull and won't come clean at all. I've used numerous types of cleaners and nothing works. Do you have any suggestions?

Phil Hingleton
owner - Jacksonville, Florida

Lysol with Hydrogen Peroxide

A. I used Lysol w/hydrogen peroxide as a liquid and Barkeepers Friend [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] cleanser & polisher. Of course I only have chrome coated rims but it came off easily.

Gerri Chapman
Retired - Marietta, Georgia. USA