-----

"Need copper wire more flexible than THHN"

2001

I am a manufacturing engineer in the aerospace industry. My company anodizes aluminum skins with 5-6% phosphoric acid for bonding purposes. I am trying to find more durable leads for the anodizing tank / plate connections. THHN copper, which is a common stranded electrical wiring conductor, is currently used. The problem is that it is not very flexible and breaks all the time. Is there some type of braided conductors that could be used in place of the THHN copper? Thanks

Brad Harr
- Lewisburg, West Virginia, US
^

2001

I've used what's called Diesel locomotive cable, it's tin plated twisted copper strands. Very expensive! Very flexible! Any industrial electrical supplier can locate the material. Diesel locomotive cable may be a peculiar name so your suppliers may recognize the name just explain the amount of amperage you wish to carry. Keep in mind that the ampacity of the wire is based on the load being carried for a defined amount of time. Short duration plating times under 15 minutes typically allow you to use wire rated for lower amperage.

Michael Broussard
Industrial Plating & Metal Finishing - Albuquerque, New Mexico
^