Old Japanning Paint Recipe wanted

(2000)

Q. I am trying to replicate the old japanning paint found on many antique tools. This type of finish was originally baked on, and is often referred to as Japan Black. One of the ingredients was aphaltum. I am looking for either a source of finished product, or a formula and some guidance to acquiring the raw materials and mixing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Walled Lake, Michigan

(2001)

A. Tim, try this web sites:

members.nbci.com/_XMCM/nlindsey/restoration/Restoration.htm [Ed. note, link no longer works]

Dave D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pensacola, Florida, USA

----
Ed. note -- Readers: Our site (on line for 29 years here in 2018) is trying to be a permanent reference site, so please give at least the title of an article, if not an abstract, when posting a link so there is a fighting chance of finding it when links break, which they usually do quite quickly.

(2001)

Q. I collect carpenter planes and would like to know more about a finish called japanning. What is it? How is it done and what makes up a "japanned" finish? Is there another name for this type of finish?

W. Carl Miller
- Crystal Lake, Illinois

A Handbook On Japanning and Enameling for Cycles, Bedsteads, Tinware, Etc. (1901)

Lacquer: Technology and Conservation

(2001)

A. I always thought of japanning as a bright and thick enamel finish. But I've never studied it.

(2001)

A. There's some interesting non-commercial information on japanning at stanford.edu.

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

(2003)

A. A totally trivial fact: My grandfather operated a Japanning business in Newark NY in the early years of the last century. He was, according to his letterhead, J. Sutman, a Tinner and Japanner of Iron and Wood Work ..also Hard Rubber and Leather Finish Japanning. He was a very old man when I was born and I never had a opportunity to learn from him about his business. The only value of this information is to indicate that "Japanning" is a venerable finishing technique.

Joseph L. Sutman
- Thousand Oaks, California

88 Keys

(2004)

A. I first heard about japanning on reading about Steinway grand pianos, made in New York. They used japanning to create the fine, glossy gold paint on the iron frames of the instruments towards the end of 19th and early 20th century. This is the part most visible when you raise the top of a grand piano and look inside.

Mr. Juha Huotari
- Helsinki, Finland

(2005)

A. I restore antique cars as a hobby and have heard of japanning. In fact, 1924 was the last year japanned finishes were used on the Buick.
1925 was the first year they used Proxlin Lacquer. According to the books I've read about those old cars, japanning was a pigmented varnish. The fenders and splash aprons were always dipped with black paint (most likely japanned), but the bodies were sprayed the color for the specific body style and later the body was attached to the chassis which already had the fenders, etc. installed. (By 1928, most manufacturers allowed customers to choose from among 4 color schemes.) This same assembly technique was used by Ford and most other manufacturers at the time up until unibody construction.

Howard Eckstein
- Orem, Utah, USA

(2007)

Q. I have collected several old Stanley wood planes made of cast iron. I would like to put a new coating of Japan Black on them. I cannot find the lacquer or varnish anywhere. Does anyone have the recipe?

Dick Partin
hobbyist - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA

A. 1926 Harvard School of Engineering copy of "Iron Age" from 1915 led me to term Japaning, which led me to info on "Pontypool japan", a process intended to compete with (then) new plating methods for protecting iron.

Here is link for "IRON AGE" journal article.

https://books.google.com/books?id=jpUvAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1453&lpg=PA1453&dq=belmont+casket+company+shadyside,+ohio&source=bl&ots=aU27niBgNW&sig=0FJn70PDqp3VGmj-09NH4MvKM8k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AX21UYDYC9H54APa-IG4Dg#v=onepage&q=japanning&f=false Here is the link to the Pontypool Japan article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypool_japan

Other recipes are out there, I am certain a little more digging might yield additional results or clues.

Please advise if I might be of assistance - always interested to dig around for odds and ends about history.

David Baker
- Richmond, Ohio, United States of America

A. Imitation japanning finish is:
One part part Mahogany varnish stain and Two parts Walnut varnish stain. Coat and dry to get depth of color wanted.
Or
Cold cure Japanning
Recipe of Stephen Shepherd
Use roofing tar (it is asphaltum in USA), let the volatiles evaporate, then mix it up with marine spar varnish (gloss). Put it on wood or metal and it is durable. Prepare the surfaces first with Alcohol to remove grease and oil etc. Surface prep is important. You can cure it at 220 °F for about a 1/2 hour in oven. Do not use your house oven as the vapors are dangerous. If you air dry it will take 8 to 24 hours to dry good and will get harder with time. Gives the black brown color of old days and you can re-coat to get the desired color depth. Good Luck.

Doug Furman
Welding instructor - Waycross, Georgia, USA

SPONS' WORKSHOP RECIPES

A. I have found some recipe's in an old book called;

Workshop Receipts for the use of manufacturers, mechanics & scientific amateurs.
By Ernest Spon (London and NewYork) published in 1879.

Page 66-67 deals with black paint for iron. I think this is what you are looking for, good luck finding the book, could try the scribd website also.

Good luck

Dom O [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- South UK

A. Pontypool Japan paint is offered by Liberty on Hudson, www.LibertyOnTheHudson.com/pontypool.html

A full plane restoration process is posted at mvflaim.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/re-japanning-a-plane/

Gordon Dayton
- Gaylordsville, Connecticut - USA