-----

"Polishing Compound Base. What to use?"

2000

I purchased a polishing compound to be used to remove scratches from glass. It came in rock form and I haven't a clue as to how to use it this way. There are two polishing compounds. The first is Golden Glo put out by Grobet. The other is white diamond/Tripoli. What do I use as a base to make a paste?

Bambi Dyer
Treasures & More - Claremont, NH USA
^

2000

Bambi: some buffing compounds that come in bar or stick form are meant to be used with higher speed buffing wheels. The friction induced heat from the wheel serves to melt the stick or bar when placed against the wheel for application.

David A. Davidson
- Bartlett, New Hampshire
^

2001

My browser shows there is a website for Grobet. Usually, you require a compound that removes most scratch defects, leaving a smooth, but somewhat dull finish of tiny scratches. Next you follow with a second, much finer compound, on a fresh, special buff wheel and with lighter pressure, to give the scratch-free surface (at least in appearance) that we call "polished". I do not recognize these compound names (terms by Grobet), so would definitely get their input before trying to polish glass.

W. Carl Erickson
- Rome, New York
^