Hydrogen Annealing for Plating Molybdenum

(2000)

I am currently working on Plating of Nickel on Mo which required a thin strike and Hydrogen Annealing. I am looking for alternative process of annealing but before I reach there I will need to understand the work of Hydrogen first.

What does hydrogen do during the sintering process. Does diffusion take place. Does Hydrides form during annealing. What is the solubility of hydrogen on Mo. What metal phases involved during this hydrogen annealing process. Can Nitrogen Annealing be used.

Steven Ng
- George Town, Penang, Malaysia

(2000)

Are you sure the sintering is done in Hydrogen?. I suspect it is forming gas with 10% or so hydrogen in nitrogen which is customary for sintering. Hydrogen prevents oxidation of nickel, and the high temperature densifies it. If that is the case, nitrogen alone may not work.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado