-----

"Seeks info regarding what solder to fill holes in chrome"

2000

I have pot metal parts off of a 1955 Cadillac which the chrome has been stripped off. What type of solder do I use to fill the holes with; where do I get it; and is there any special thing I need to know to get these parts ready for plating?

Robert Edrington
- Muncie, Indiana
^

2001

I am restoring a 1955 Cadillac (Fleetwood) in the U.K, - so I'd like to know what the result was of soldering the parts, then re-chroming?

I believe the metal used on some of the trim parts is called Mezac & mine is badly pitted - does it work on this?

If so does anyone know if it is available in the UK or has to be purchased from the States?

toby low
- London, UK
^

2004

The best way to do this is to copper plate the part, then rub it down, repeating until the pits are filled. Time consuming, but it is the best! Don't think that brazing or silver soldering pot metal would be a good idea. having said that I've never tried it. You could always go to a junk yard and get a few pieces to experiment with, though.

Jeff Morris
- Ireland
^