Remove potassium permanganate from carpeting

(2000)

I spilled potassium permanganate on a light brown carpet and need a product to remove the stain it left. When the potassium dripped on the carpet, I put water with iron out on it. The carpet turned a darker brown than the original carpet I then used some baking soda on it which didn't seem to change anything I also tried some vinegar which was diluted four to one. Please help me as I may have to buy the customer a new carpet if I don't clean up the stain

Jerry Gieseler
plumbing - Hastings Mich. america

(2000)

Here's a suggestion: Find someone who makes multilayer printed circuit boards. Ask for a small sample of their permanganate reducer bath from their desmear line. (If you get the concentrate, ask how much to dilute it by.) Test this solution on a small, hidden piece of carpet to make sure nothing untoward happens (like bleaching, dissolving the fibers, etc.)

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

(2004)

Potassium Permanganate is a very reactive chemical, and it had already reacted with the colorants from the carpet, it is not possible to remove stain. If it is possible to re-dye carpet, could hide stain.

Jose Andres Giron
- Guatemala, Central America

(2004)

Try using a solution of Sodium thiosulfate (in water) and remove the pot. permanganate stain. (ask any chemical company for thiosulfate)

Manny Subra
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

simple use a 50% lemon juice 10% peroxide and %40 water. the citric acid in lemon juice is organic and will be a non toxic reaction with the permanganate. But you may have already lost the dyes in the carpet.

todd reaska
- cedar point