Is there anyone around who does Cyanide Copper?

(2000)

We need to talk to someone who has actually done Hull Cells on Cyanide Copper, both a regular bath, and a strike bath, and who can discuss the differences in what the two panels would look like from the two baths.

Are they both typically run at 1 amp in a normal 267 ml Hull Cell?

What kind of voltage would you typically get in a Hull cell at one amp, on each of the two cells, and would there be a difference?

What sort of plating efficiency do you typically get on each of these two baths?

Dr LRH

Ron Hardtfeldt
- La Mirada California

(2000)

Let's get to basics. Let us know why you want to play around with cyanide copper and maybe we can help. It is so much more advantageous to use pyrophosphate or acid copper that I cannot imagine anyone using cyanide copper anymore. Some metals still require cyanide, but copper isn't one of them.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

(2000)

James,

How would you plate a zinc die-casting or an aluminum item? I have certainly heard of nickel strikes for this purpose, as well as the use of copper pyrophosphate strikes . . . but while I've read of laboratory successes, and I've seen glowing sales literature, I have yet to see a single major production jobshop successfully eliminate copper cyanide. If you can name such a shop, and they are still doing it beyond a 12-month trial period, and as a business (as opposed to the government subsidizing their failures), I'd be interested! How do you mush buff a nickel strike to fill pits or to make a Harley-quality reflective finish?