Anode basket material for MSA lead-tin baths

(2000)

Q. I work for the plating field, specifically with sulfamate nickel and MethaneSulfonic tin-lead plating baths. I have been using pure tin anode bars in the tin-lead baths. I am planning to change the anode bars to anode-balls (1 inch diameter) in a anode basket. What would be the best material to use to make my baskets?

Reynaldo Arroyo
Novacap - Valencia, Calif, U.S.A.

(2000)

A. Reyanldo

Simply, I would not change to any type of basket, easier to just remelt the anodes into slabs, never found any material that worked or didn't break down quickly at a reasonable cost.

Chris Snyder
plater - Charlotte, North Carolina

(2000)

A. Reyanldo,

We normally used titanium basket for the anode balls.I do not understand why you use pure tin anode for tin lead plating,I suggest you used the tin lead alloy anode,this will save the chemical cost significantly.

Benny Lim
- Malaysia

Q. What is the anode basket material for tin plating

We are doing tin plating on copper (we have an automatic rack tin plating line). As we do tin plating on copper bus bar, I need information about the anode basket material for tin plating that is suitable for the plating process and does not contaminate the tin plating tank.

Ahmed ismail
- riyadh-saudi arabia

A. Mr Snyder has good advice.

The way I've seen tin anodes is as corrugated cylinders about 5 feet long. There is no basket - the anode hangs from a steel hook threaded into the tin that hangs right from the busbar.