Cadmium Plating Replacement

(2000)

Do you have information about banning of Cadmium plating in Europe? I would like to know what date it took/will take effect? How long is the transition period? What is the actual law or specification number, and the governing body that issued this specification? And what other alternatives to Cadmium plating besides Zinc plating are there?

Noel Gibilaro
chemical products. - New Britain, Connecticut USA

(2000)

It's already in effect. Type the phrase "cadmium ban" into our search engine [located near the top of this page] and you'll quickly find a couple of discussions that cover this topic and answer your questions.

pooky
tom pullizi signature

(2000)

Replacement of cadmium depends very much on the application. The military, primarily the Air Force, has been using ion vapor deposited (IVD) aluminum. It is not suitable for coating inner surfaces, and is not too good for fasteners -- not lubricious enough. It also requires some of the same post-deposition treatment as cadmium, namely a hexavalent chromate conversion coating, so it is not entirely a clean process.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
- Vista, California

(2000)

A good source for alternatives to Cd is the National Defense Center for Environmental Excellence (do a search to find it). They recently had a symposium on this subject.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

(2000)

About the "End of Life Vehicles" legislation that's recently came in in Europe.

I've searched to web for the actual legislation, and all I get are articles discussing, it's progress and impact.

Does anyone know of a site where I could download it or do I have to get it direct (paper) from Brussels?

Ian Brooke
university - Glasgow, Scotland

(2000)

Ian,

You can go to www.europarl.eu.int/ for this information.

Peter Weber
Creil, France

(2000)

Hopefully Mr. Brooke has more patience than me. I got absolutely nowhere in my first 15 minutes on that humongous site--which promises you a 'search' page a thousand times but never delivers one. It seems like before you can find anything you must completely understand the entire divisional and departmental structure of the European Parliament :-(

But if anybody actually finds the specific pages in question and can give us a more exacting URL, we'd like to have it smiley

P.S. 5/29/12: Someone moved Europe. That domain no longer exists.

(2000)

Thanks Peter

I went in I found out how to ask what I wanted to know, it told me which file to look at, then told me it couldn't find it!

The first time you go to this site it is a bit confusing, but then it does deal with many things (well everything the European Parliament does). However I find sites from America easy to use, perhaps they have a better way of thinking about how to lay these things out.

I've spent a bit over an hour on it today - tomorrow is another day!

As usual much more info' on what had been changed and what had been accepted.

I'll let you know

Toodle Pip

Ian Brooke
- Scotland

(2000)

Ian,

Sorry you had so much trouble; I'd forgotten how difficult it is to find things on that site.

I sent Tom Pullizzi at finishing.com a copy of the Directive. He said he'd make it available on line.

Cheers,

Peter Weber
Creil, France

(2000)

Yes, thanks to Mr. Weber, you may now view the text at www.finishing.com/library/EOL-vehicles.html

(2000)

Thanks for the help. A day or two before you put the Directive or your website I went to the European Paliments help desk, who were very helpful, found the directive and emailed it's location to me within a day. It makes interesting reading for instance, hexavalent chromium is allowed up to 2g per vehicle. Though I have not read into enough to say how this is judged or who by.

Ian Brooke
- Scotland

(2000)

Ian,

You won't find in the text of the Directive how the 2 gram limit on hex6 will be judged or by whom because it is up to the states of the EU to enact the laws and regulations necessary to implement the Directive.

Peter Weber
Creil, France

----
Ed. note: Please note that this discussion is from the year 2000 and may contain outdated information.