Cadmium plating small parts

(2000)

I am restoring an old car. There are parts that have cadmium plating, zinc plating, black oxide, etc. As part of the fun and satisfaction of the restoration process, I'd like to tackle some plating. I am a chemist but my training has been on the organic side of the periodic chart. I know that plating is more than cations and a battery. I'd like to avoid handling cyanide if possible. If that is unavoidable, does 3M or other manufacturer make an HCN vapor mask or respirator? Most of the parts that I'm considering would fit in a 1-liter beaker. Thanks

Kenneth J. Welch
- Racine, WI

(2000)

Hello Kenneth,

We manufacture a line of brush electroplating chemicals and equipment. Brush electroplating is a portable process that uses hand held electrodes rather than submersing the parts in a tank. Therefore, the solutions we manufacture have to be a benign as possible. We have Cad and Zinc solutions which are cyanide free and can be chromated to meet your finishing needs. While parts are usually done out side of a tank, small parts can be submerged in a beaker in order to get complete coverage. I would invite you to view our web site and contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California

(2000)

You can brush plate Cd, but I would advise you to read up on the hazards first. Cd is in the process of going the way of the dodo because of its toxicity.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida