-----

"Spontaneous Combustion of Buffing Lint"

An ongoing discussion beginning back in 2000 ...

2000

Q. I am working on a buffing facility and we just recently had a fire on a roll-off container that we use to dispose our buffing lint. The fire started by itself. Can anybody tell me where can I find information about spontaneous combustion of buffing lint and ways to prevent it? I think that the risk of another fire still exists.

Carlos Delgado
- Mexicali, BC, Mexico
^

2000

A. Carlos,

Surely your local fire department would be a good source, an 'alluminating' source of info, eh?

Lemme hazard a guess that thar buffin' lint weren't perfect an' had some oils of some type in it.

Try Linseed Oil [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] and rags! ... or buffing lint, that's if you want to be a wannabe pyromaniac! Sure will catch fire one of these days!

You have 2 remedies. l) burn the damn stuff and don't leave it to self-ignite. 2) Keep it nice and wet...

Cheers!

Freeman Newton [dec]
(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

^

"Dust Explosions in the Process Industries"

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns commission on what you buy after clicking)

2006

Q. Spontaneous combustion of sanding dust from the finishing of hardwood floors: I'm a fire investigator and am currently investigating a fire that is most probably due to improper disposal of sanding dust. The hardwood floors in the house were being sanded and the dust was collected in a vacuum cleaner, which was left in the house. Several hours later there was a fire that originated in the area were the vacuum cleaner was stored. Any information pertaining to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Albert Spencer
engineering - Nashville, Tennessee
^

2006

A. It certainly sounds possible, Albert; the more so if any resin was involved. But your situation is outside of my experience and tangential to the focus of this industrial metal finishing site, so I can't promise that helpful responses will be forthcoming. Good luck.

^

A. In the safety sections on two separate dust collectors we have specifically list buffing lint as one of the hazardous dust that could be collected.

Kirk Chambers
- Louisville, Kentucky
^