Scared to reblue

(2000)

Hi

I recently purchased a old 410 Cooey for my son. it was rusted pretty bad and before I could stop him he had already started sanding the barrel.

i was going to reblue it until I found this site! if you intended to scare (or make one realize the danger)in blue with chemicals, you did. I am glad I ran across this site, my local gun shops want more than it's worth to reblue it and with it being have sanded. What is the cheapest way to get it back looking good. And how should I go about it with out blowing up the wife's kitchen! I am awaiting your reply!

Ken Clark
- Warden, quebec, canada

(2000)

Most of the chemicals used in metal finishing are hazardous and regulated. This is why we constantly recommend to the average person that you do NOT try this stuff at home. Not only would the chemicals be hazardous to you and your family, there is the potential for these chemicals to be spilled or illegally dumped into the environment where your whole community gets to drink the chemicals.

My recommendation is that you pay the high price for a professional to do the job. These people know how to do high-quality work and you can let them deal with the chemicals. You are more likely to get it done right if you let a company do it for you, and if not, you have someone to complain to.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

Hi, Ken.

Your son and you can certainly polish the barrel, rather than leaving it raw sanded. And, although the quality is not as good, you can apply commercial cold gun bluing. I won't say it's safe, but it is available cheap at any gun store.