Prepping aluminum boat for repainting

(2000)

My question is, I have recently purchased a 23 ft. aluminum cabin cruiser, it's all aluminum and I have been taking all the old paint off. The metal looks like new, but a friend just informed me that I have to use special procedures to get the paint to adhere to the metal properly. Is this true? Also if this is true can you tell me the best way to proceed? The boat is a 1955 Lonestar; also at some time in the past someone has installed some bolts that were not stainless steal or aluminum and they have rusted. I plan on replacing them but I'm not sure which is the correct ones to use. Help if you can!

John C. Henderson
personal job - Crescent City Florida United States

(2005)

Hi there, I wondered if you had a picture of your boat as I also have a late fifties aluminum cabin cruiser by Lone Star.
Cheers,

Adam Outen
- Boise, Idaho, USA

3M Marine Sealant

I have one that needs painting. Should it be sanded? It also leaks a bit at seams. How can you stop seam leaks? I'm trying to restore it for sale.

Carmon Stiles
Hobbyist - Divide, Colorado, USA

I have restored a 1957 Lone Star ElDorado but made it more user friendly. The steering has been modernized, floors, side walls and built-in transom bench varnished marine plywood. Do not sand blast aluminum as it will pit or "waffle" the metal if too much psi is used. Blast with a plastic media. I changed out a lot of the aluminum nuts, bolts and screws to stainless with no problems. Polished aluminum looks like stainless.

Richard L. Peebles
Hobbyist - Indian Hills, Colorado, USA

I have a 1957 Lonestar Durango. I'm planning on using a do it yourself Rhino type lining in the bottom. I will have completely sanded down to the metal prior to my application. I will post after the 4th of July on how this idea has held up and of course plenty of play time to test it out.

Clayton L. Paprska
USCG - Vancouver, Washington, USA