Authoritative Answers, Fun, & Aloha -- no cost, no passwords, no popups
(as an eBay Partner & Amazon Affiliate we earn from qualifying purchases)

Fun
Adver-
tise
Site 🔍
Search
pub     mobile?
Metal finishing Q&As since 1989

-----

Aluminum Anodizing Black Color Matching Problem

Q. Hello everyone
I mounted 2 racks of aluminum 110 pieces each to be colored black 40 minutes in machine. One rack on Monday and another is on Wednesday. Required thickness from customers is 15 µm. It came out very different in colors. One whole rack became black and another rack became blue. (Temperature was OK. pH was 6.14)

61674-1

Now I'm very confused and nobody knows the right answer. I hope I get it here. I need your brain now

William Shatner [fictitious]
- Stockholm, Sweden

Ed. note: Welcome! Please feel free to visit anonymously! But this is a forum with a 35-year legacy of camaraderie & warm aloha incompatible with anonymity; please post only with your full real name and location.

Defelsko Positector 6000
combo magnetic & eddy-current coating thickness tester
thickness_tester
on eBay or

Amazon

(affil links)

A. Hi William. When black anodizing comes out blue the first step is to actually measure the thickness of the anodizing rather than assuming its thickness from the spec and supposed anodizing time. What is the actual anodizing thickness on the black and the blue pieces? Thanks.

Q. The actual anodizing thickness found on the black pieces was 14 µm and on the blue pieces was 8 µm max. This was what I found. But does it make any difference if I found 15 µm on a blue piece ? Or what do you mean?

William Shatner [fictitious]
- Stockholm, Sweden

simultaneous replies
RECOMMENDED ANODIZING & CHROMATING BOOKS
for Shops, Specifiers & Engineers

probertEthumb
"Aluminum How-To" -- Chromating, Anodizing, Hardcoating by Robert Probert (2005)
avail from finishing.com

pinner
"The Surface Treatment & Finishing of Aluminium and Its Alloys" by Wernick, Pinner & Sheasby (1959 - 2001)
avail from eBay, AbeBooks, or Amazon

anodizing_runge2018
"The Metallurgy of Anodizing Aluminum" by Jude Mary Runge (2018)
avail from eBay, AbeBooks, or Amazon

surface_aluminum_king
"Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum" by Robert King (1988)
avail from eBay, AbeBooks, or Amazon

anodic_ox_alum_henley1982
"Anodic Oxidation of Aluminum and Its Alloys" by V. F. Henley (1982)
avail from eBay, AbeBooks, or Amazon

alum_finish_reynolds
"Aluminum Finishes Process Manual" by Reynolds Aluminum (1973)
avail from eBay, AbeBooks or Amazon

(as an Amazon Associate & eBay Partner, we earn from qualifying purchases)

A. Hi again. I don't know why the thickness is only 8 microns (maybe the rectifier power failed or maybe there was bad contact to the rack for part of the cycle) ... but the lack of anodizing thickness *IS* the problem which made the parts blue.

8 microns is not enough thickness to get black anodizing -- the pores aren't deep enough to absorb enough dye. Black is the absence of color, and it is obtained by completely blocking all other colors, and you can't completely block them with dye in a layer which isn't thick/deep enough to do it.

Depending on the type of dye which is used, you'll get either dark blue or dark maroon instead of black when the anodizing is not thick enough.

Q. It happened like this. We dyed the same material with same chemicals on 2 different times and we get 2 different results. All pieces on one rack was black which is approved but pieces on another rack are all blue which is not approved and make a big question mark.
Now I have 2 questions.
(1)... What are all the factors that can a black anodizing blue? Kindly mention all those factors.
(2)... Do you think a bad pH can make them blue? Or how much a pH is crucial?

William Shatner [fictitious]
- Stockholm, Sweden

Q. Hello everyone.
It says that a pH of 6.00 is an ideal for anodizing. My questions are:
What are the effects of low pH (less than 6.00) and high pH (above 6.00) on aluminum black anodizing during the process of sealing the pores on material? Does low/high make shift the color or what will be the reactions of low and high pH on material?

John Deer [same person, different fictitious name :-)]
- Stockholm, Sweden

? What kind of sealing bath do you use? Most likely you use cold sealing. Up to me, source of problem is cold sealing. Please let me know your sealing

ALAATTIN TUNA
- TURKEY Sakarya

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)

Finishing
Consult'g,

About/Contact  -  Privacy Policy  -  ©1995-2024 finishing.com, Pine Beach, New Jersey, USA  -  about "affil links"