-----

Repair enamel coated steel tea kettle? (Inside and outside)

Q. I recently inherited a stunning kettle (enamel coated steel) that had been dropped at some point. The enamel chipped both inside and out (see pictures). Do I have any hope of repairing this so that I can safely boil water for tea in it?

61496-1d   61496-1c   61496-1b   61496-1a  

I don't particularly care about the aesthetic quality of the repair because the chips are located on the underside of the kettle, and inside it, but I'd really like to be able to use it as a kettle. I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Meg Woodruff
- Scranton Pennsylvania

Appliance touch-up enamel

Affiliate Link
(your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. I wouldn't worry about the inside at all. In the worst case there's a small bare spot of raw metal; so what, it won't hurt you.
You can't really fix the outside because the ceramic is much more like melted glass than paint, but you can try white appliance touch-up enamel to make the chip less obvious, and see how long it holds up against the heat and abrasion ... it'll be better than nothing. Let us know what happens with the touch-up.

simultaneous replies

Q. Thank you for the reassurance! I will definitely try the touch up on the outside. Here's why I'd like to try to do something with the inside: it's continuing to chip. I don't like the idea of the chips ending up in a teacup or whatever's in them leaching into the boiling water. So I was looking into whether there's a product labeled 'food safe enamel repair kit.'

Meg Woodruff
- Scranton Pennsylvania

A. Professional enamelist can fix it but that is not cheap job.
Try to contact Enamelist Society Inc. (www.enamelistsociety.org/) Hope it helps and good luck!

- Cerovski vrh Croatia

Medical grade epoxy

Affiliate Link

A. Hi again. Yes, there are food-safe epoxies that will cover and help to hold together any ongoing chipping. I wouldn't try them on general pots and pans that can get quite hot and that need scrubbing, but a tea pot shouldn't go over boiling temperature if it never runs dry.