It's Tuesday 01/18/22 & your Q or A is Welcome.
Chime right in! (a "no registration" site)

-----

Need old Plating Research Paper

Q. I work for a kitchen hardware manufacturer in the UK, and I'm currently working on a process for darkening brass using selenious acid.

I've come across a reference to a paper published in 'Metal Finishing' in 1967 that seems to describe exactly what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately the journal is out of print; they only have online archives back to 1995, and the paper is not online anywhere else.

The reference for the paper is this: Janjua, Toguri, and W. Charles Cooper. "No Title" Metal Finishing. 65 (5): 54. 1967. I believe the title will be along the lines of 'The formation of coloured films produced on copper by selenious acid'.

I was hoping that someone would have a suggestion for getting hold of the paper. Any help is much appreciated.

Will

Will Thomas
- Birmingham, UK
^

A. Hi Will. "Finishing Publications Ltd & Metal Finishing Information Services" (not related to Metal Finishing magazine) in Stevenage, Herts probably have it, but they are an information service so they'll probably be entitled to compensation. I had it until last month when I gave my old issues of Metal Finishing to Berl Stein of NiCoForm [a finishing.com supporting advertiser]; if you write him, I'm confident he'll be happy to photocopy it and e-mail it to you.

But back to "Metal Finishing Information Services", their CD-ROM does not show your reference in Metal Finishing magazine, but does show this one:

61377-1

^

thumbs up sign That's fantastic, thanks for your help Ted.

Will

Will Thomas [returning]
- Birmingham, UK
^

Q. I am looking for this paper; it's not on the net, some library hard copy?

C.A. Holden & R Luik, "Critical nitric acid vapor test parameters affecting the apparent porosity of thin and selectively plated gold coating", Plating and surface Finishing, pp 110-117, March 1982.

Anil kher
- Goa, india
^

A. Hi Anil. Although it's not exactly the paper you are looking for, ASTM B735 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] is titled "Standard Test Method for Porosity in Gold Coatings on Metal Substrates by Nitric Acid Vapor", so it probably covers that technology.

"Gold Plating in the Electronics Industry" by Alain Blair, link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF03216562.pdf, is a summary of the session in which that paper was presented; so you could look for the CD-ROM from Sur/Fin 1981 as another source for the paper as well.

A few libraries around the world, often personal ones, would have this. You might inquire of the Indian Association for Surface Finishing if anyone in your country is maintaining such a library.

The previously mentioned "Finishing Publications Ltd & Metal Finishing Information Services" abstracted the article to their CD-ROM and presumably have it, but I don't know the terms under which they might offer it to you.

^