Avoiding Tank Overflows

Q. I'm sure every plating shop has had this happen but an operator puts a hose in a tank, walks away and comes back to an overflowed tank. We've tried the timed push button controller, the gas station type handle, etc. but never come up with the optimum answer. "Progressive discipline up to and including termination" is great, but we've made huge investments in our operators and they're nearly impossible to replace these days. What ingenious approaches have people come up with out there?

milt stevenson jr.
Milt Stevenson, Jr.
Anoplate Corporation
Syracuse, New York
Anoplate banner

A. Hi Milt. Toasting my pop tarts this morning, I noticed that the toasting coils went off 3 or 4 seconds before they popped up. Electronic controls are so super reliable and dirt cheap today that we don't even think about it anymore -- even cheap toasters now use microprocessor controllers instead of mechanical devices.

The volume apparently isn't quite there yet for super cheap bluetooth level controls or hose controls but I think we're close. I can easily picture a normally-closed solenoid in the water line before the hose bib so water cannot flow except when 'authorized' by a blue tooth level control in the tank or on the end of the hose line, and it being affordable soon.

But in the meanwhile, I think your gas station type handles, inserted into a proper diameter proper height PVC standpipes at the corner of the tank is the way to go. I understand that the nozzles are available in plastic or stainless steel if the standard ones corrode too easily in plating shop service.

A. A float switch set at a level that's just above the "this tank is full now!" line, and still a few minutes' fill time away from "oh no it overflowed!", connected to a LOUD audible alarm that everyone knows not to ignore, and can be heard clear across the shop.

We have a couple of these installed in our waste treatment area and when they go off, at least two people are guaranteed to go scurrying up to shut off the offending inflow valve, if only to save their poor ears!

rachel_mackintosh
Rachel Mackintosh
Plating Solutions Control Specialist / Industrial Waste Water Treatment - Brattleboro, Vermont

A. 1. "Dead man valve" is a reliable solution to prevent tank's overflow.
2. It is possible to add a device similar to "Ydrostop" - to limit a total amount of water that can flow in the pipe.
3. High level signal from electrical level sensor may be connected (through a special controller) to a solenoid valve that stops water in the pipe.

Anyone who works in a plating shop has seen tanks overflow at least once.

Leon Gusak
- Winnipeg, Canada