Mixing Ni strike and Copper sulfate baths for disposal

Q. Hi

I am working with electroplating of copper on steel wire with Ni-strike. The baths are too old and it's time to have new baths. I am wondering if it is possible to put both copper and nickel strike bath in the same container and send for the destruction? I am wondering about the environmental issues.
Thanks for reading my query :-).

Kind Regards
Ridwaan

Ridwaan Ali
- Pakistan

A. Hi Ridwaan. I see no safety issues as long as you are speaking only of those two specific plating baths. Obviously, you cannot mix a cyanide copper bath with any acidic bath like a nickel strike.

But I do have a couple of comments ...

Those plating baths never get "old" they only get out of spec or contaminated. Disposal is a last resort when contamination is so severe that it can't be practically fixed. When you give up on two different baths simultaneously, the question naturally comes up of whether you're giving up a little too easily :-)

If you're certain that the disposal facility will simply neutralize and precipitate, I suppose pre-mixing the two baths is okay, but it does mean it won't be practical to recover the copper or nickel. I think it's a bad idea. Good luck.

Q. I am really glad to see your reply Ted :-).
Both baths are contaminated; that's why I thought to change with new baths. Due to damaged air-wipers, Ni strike has followed with the wire and thus contaminated the copper bath. And I do not have any filter on these baths either to catch the contamination and neither stirring. As you suggested it will be a loss of resources and it seems that now I am feeling that I am giving up on contaminated baths rather than restoring them. Do not have any idea how to remove the contaminations.
Thanks a lot Ted!

Kind Regards,
Ridwaan

Ridwaan Ali [returning]
- Karachi, Pakistan

finishing.com is possible thanks to our supporting advertisers, including this shop:none

spacer