World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Body-In-White spec: cleanliness before degreasing

Q. What is the allowable oil, metal dust, mud level on BIW body before sending for degreasing? These values are required for Automobile OEM.

subhro naskar
paint shop engineer - india

Body In White

A. Hi Subhro. As I picture and understand it, the cleaning and priming is done by the same factory that builds the body, so the only spec I would foresee --if any-- would an internal one for your individual factory or your car manufacturer. If anyone knows differently, please advise!

This seems like it could be a interesting and educational topic. But I think it's up to you to make it so, Subhro, by providing the background that motivates you to post about it :-)

Thanks & Regards,