World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Aluminium Anodizing followed by reverse-anodizing

Q. Hi All,

I hope you good people can help me with my quandary?
I am a researcher and student,
If I am to anodize a piece of Al (any alloy) hard or soft,
is there a way I could stop/reverse and "somehow"
re-aluminize the piece on top of the Anodic layer?
My intention is NOT to remove the Anodic layer but more to introduce another layer on top of it made up of Al:

######## New Al layer
======== Anodic layer
######## Original Al substrate

I am aware that this might lead to going down the route of Electroplating/Electrodeposition/electrolysis,
but I prefer to do it via the anodizing/reverse-anodizing route if I can.

Great forum - BTW, thank you to all who made it possible,

Seid

Seid Zafer
University of Bouira - Algeria/U.K.

A. Hi Seid. Aluminum can probably be deposited on top of the anodizing -- perhaps by vacuum metalizing, IVD, maybe even hot-dipping or by cladding. But to my knowledge no one has chemically or electrochemically converted anodizing back to aluminum. I don't know whether other readers can offer encouragement or not.

Q. Hi all,

I hope you good people can help me with this,

A freshly anodised and dried sheet of aluminium dipped in an ionic liquid with viscosity similar to that of vegetable oil,
how can I seal the liquid in the pores without the use of water?
the liquid in question can withstand temp of 150 °C but it decomposes in contact with moisture of any kind.

Many thanks

Seid zafer [returning]
University of Bouira - Algeria/U.K.

A. Hi again, Seid. If you'll take the time to explain what you are actually trying to do, things might be more productive :-)

For example, what you mean by 'seal' is a bit vague: to anodizers 'sealing' means a water immersion process which swells the top of the pores to close them off -- so inquiring about sealing 'without the use of water' is nothing but an oxymoron. But to others the meaning of seal is much broader and could include a lacquer or clearcoat. So, would a non-aqueous clearcoat satisfy your needs, or is swelling the top of the pores with aluminum oxide/boehmite and similar compounds essential? Thanks.

thumbs up sign Thank you - Ted,
for your quick reply, I did not know about Lacquer sealing.

Seid Zafer [returning]
- Bracknell, Berks, UK

adv.: Anodizing Questions? Need Personalized Help?

anodizeusaConsult   probertbanner