-----

"Metal building rust inhibitor"

2000

I am looking for a corrosion/rust inhibitor that will mix with water and can be applied through a fogging machine so I can treat the inside of metal potato storage buildings. I would use fans to spread the fog throughout the storage buildings. I have approximately 500 buildings right now that need some kind of treatment. If we can come up with a way to do this the possibilities would be endless. It needs to be able to stop rust that has already formed.

The building would be empty at the time of treatment.

Scott Rinehart
POTATO SERVICES - Rexburg, Idaho
^

2000

This approach will never work. If such a compound were able to exist, it would be applied before rust started forming, to avoid the need to stop it, extending the life of the coating even longer.

What needs to be done is to improve the resistance of the metal sheds by improving the coating system used in the first place. I suppose that the sheds are made of some coil coated steel. Where does the coating fail first? Along the soil line, along the eaves, at the cut edge of the coated metal? Is the metal steel, or galvalume, or galvanized? How does the coating fail (rust spots, blisters,peeling)? What kind of warranty did you get with your shed?

Can a coil coater recommend here at this thread, a specification, starting from the metal, the best protection from a pre-coat/paint system that they know of?

How about contacting your agricultural extension agent, and say "Us potato storage shed guys aren't going to take it anymore!" "We want some help from the coating industry here"

Find the local AESF (try Nebraska/Iowa branch), and ask them for some help. Maybe you could get the Ag Agent to set up some field trials.

Good Luck,

tom & pooky   toms signature
^

2001

One of my friends produces a water based paint which converts rust into a hard, non reactive stable organo metallic complex,which forms a protective coating and neutralises further corrosion process. Method of application. Oil stains, paint residue, mill scale non adherent rust etc should be removed before application.Then the product has to be directly applied over the surface by brush, roller or conventional spray method.After application of the paint the conversion is complete within 3-4 hours.

Please let me know if you find it would serve the purpose, in which case we may proceed further.

B.V.Vishwanathan
- Pune, Maharashtra, India
^