The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

Torque Increment process in Bronze C-95500 material

60956-1

Q. We are in a business of grounding systems, and in grounding system you might be aware of hot line clamps. I have a design & material finalize. I am only achieving a torque of 400 Lb in the design and my customer requirement is 600 lb in same design and material. Photo I have attached you can see in that I need torque in part where nut is located.

Design and material is specified so we are finding a process which can increase the torque; all the annealing process which are possible in the material from normal to solution temperature we have done but same result.

How can I increase the torque after the sand casting? Material is Bronze grade of C-95500. We got the hint that there is a finishing process which increase the torque by process itself. Can you help me with the process?

viral Sojitra
Manufacturer - Rajkot, Gujrat, India

A. Hi, Viral. Thank you for the highly detailed question which hopefully a reader can answer. Despite your strong effort to make it clear, I still don't quite understand what you mean be 'achieving a torque'. What happens if you put a wrench on that nut and try to apply 600 in-lbs of torque? Does the casting break at 400 in-lbs?

Q. Yes Ted, at 400 lb in it is breaking and we want 600 lb inch to fulfill the customer requirement.

viral sojitra [returning]
- Rajkot, Gujrat, India

Hi Viral,

Teflon coating the fastener or the assembly might allow for higher torquing. No harm in trying one assembly.

regards,

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind
Bengaluru, India
Saify Ind