-----

"Can you add additional Chrome to a thin layered chromed part?"

Q. I have a brand new pro-pipe motorcycle Muffler that has never been used therefore has no carbon contaminants inside it.
My desire is to ceramic coat the inside of the pipe and if possible add a heavier Chrome layer to the outside as the original pipe I have blue dye out within a couple of months from Heat and inadequate Chrome plating.
I've read your article and still not positive if this can be put back into a tank to have a heavier chrome finish put on to it and also which process I should have done first the ceramic coating of the inside of the pipe or additional Chrome being put on the outside of the pipe if at all possible.
The muffler I have the still in the original Factory wrappings and totally uncontaminated.
Please advise.

Norman Slutzker
Motorcycle hobbyist and Builder of motorcycles - Greensburg, Pennsylvania 15601 United States of America
^

A. Hi Norman. You can strip the chrome plating and the nickel plating under it, and re-do it. But you cannot build up onto the existing chrome plating without stripping it; you might possibly be able to add more nickel plating and then chrome plating without stripping the nickel plating but it's touch and go.

Sorry, I don't know the feasibility of doing ceramic coating on the inside, but due to the extreme temperatures required, you would have to do that before the nickel and chrome plating. Good luck.

^