Metal Finish-How Do I Get The Matte Look?

Q. I'm wondering how I can achieve a certain metal finish. The metal has a smooth, matte feeling, and appears to be oxidized with striations. Does anyone know how I can achieve this look, and what tools I would need?

Nichole Er
hobbyist - Brooklyn, New York USA

A. Hello Nicole. I think you'll need to tell us what metal it is and send a pic. While it's possible that it's a "mechanical" finish, if it's aluminum it may be a chemical etch for example. Good luck.

Q. Hi again,
Just following up. Any recommendations on how I can achieve this metal finish? Any advice/info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

60507-1b   60507-1a

Best Regards,

Nichole Er [returning]
hobbyist - Brooklyn, New York USA

P.S. Sept. 26, 2017: The material is aluminum.

A. These parts appear to have a grain pattern which is best achieved on flat parts with a wide belt sander; however, I am not sure these are 100% done with a belt but manually with a hand product.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Nova Finishing Systems Inc.
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

A. Hi again. As the whole world learned from "The Dress" last year, it's hard to know if what we think we see in a photograph is really what's there when there are no visual background cues to put things into size and color perspective (if you send more pics, maybe lay a dime and a penny on the panel).

But to me this looks like an "antiquing" paint job, where you paint the metal a solid color (maybe gray or taupe in this case) then follow it with a striated paint in a different color (maybe off-white).

So, does it look like bare aluminum metal with a sanded or etched pattern to you or does it look like some kind of striated tint or paint?