HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 60486

Bottom-up fill electroless copper plating technology applicability

Copper Electrodeposition for Nanofabrication of Electronics Devices

Q. Hi, I am stuck on a research problem and would appreciate ANY ADVICE that anyone can offer. I am very new to the electrochemical and chemical metal finishing world, and came across the 'bottom-up' electroless copper plating method which is used in Damascene process to fill the microvias. My question is regarding the applicability of this bottom-up fill method to fill trenches in other metal alloys, such as Ti6Al4V? Can it be done or is it only applicable to semi-conductor materials? Please help if you can?

I have two gold plated samples (nickel seed layers) and one seems to be magnetic while the other one isn't. I can't explain why. Is it due to the nickel seed layer? Is there a certain thickness that causes it to be magnetic?

Riddhi Maharaj
employed in research department - South Africa