a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum

3-D Printing: Removal of oxide on alloys

I have a titanium alloy (TI-6Al-4v) which was 3D printed from SLM printer, which is heated to 450 °C in vacuum. Now I can't read the surface of the alloy for micro hardness through the tester because of the oxides formed on the alloy. How can I remove the oxides formed on the alloy to have a clear view of the surface?

kali pogula
project - australia

simultaneous April 19, 2017

A. When I had a Ti finishing job some years back, I used a 1:1 mix of HNO3 and HF. Scary stuff!

Ammonium bifluoride might work instead of HF.

? Are you saying that you can't properly see and measure the diamond indentation because of the oxide?

Ken Kirby
- Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA

We electropolish 3D printed titanium parts, but only small ones - the surface is very developed and consumes lots of AMPS.

60434

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: