HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 60389

Boiling bright nickel plating solution turns dusty parrot green

Q. Hi, I manufacture silver plated handicrafts. I'm doing silver plating over bright nickel. My question is that from long time we use electric heaters for boiling bright nickel solution. But it is too expensive. Now I'm trying LPG gas water geyser for boiling nickel plating solution.but after some time running it's change the water colour dark parrot green. I can't understand why colour change from green to dark dusty green. For this we are also treating solution. But the problem is not solved.

guarav_verma
gaurav verma
plating - india

A. Hi Guarav. Please send us pictures or data about this "LPG gas water geyser" because I don't understand what you are doing. Thanks.

thumbs up signHi Ted,I read the title and wondered why he was heating his dusty parrot.....
Apologies, I couldn't resist.

Mark Lees
- cold rock in the irish sea

Q. Hello, sir. The link you can understand for gas water geyser for heating: http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1211-how-does-a-tankless-instant-continuous-flow-hot-water-heater-work

60389-1c  60389-1a  60389-1b 

But my question is that when I'm heating bright nickel solution by this process, it changes the colour of solution like parrot green. And when I use electric heater, the solution is normal. And for treatment we use filter process from many times.

guarav_verma
gaurav verma [returning]
handicrafts - hathras, india

A. Hi again. My guess is the nickel plating solution is corroding the copper coil of the tankless water heater. These devices are made for heating water, not nickel plating solution. Sorry to bring bad news, but I don't think this can possibly work.

A. Hi,
As Ted says this is corrosion and should not be used in nickel plating. To heat the nickel you should use PP plastic. Never use copper in a nickel tank.

Anders Sundman
Plating engineering, 4 generations

anders sundman
Anders Sundman
3rd Generation in Plating
Consultant - Arvika, Sweden