Reduction of ethylene glycol COD in effluent waterDecember 16, 2016
Q. Dear Sir,
In our polyester industry we have effluent treatment plant which consists of anaerobic as well as aerobic units to reduce COD level.
1. Common inlet effluent COD will be around 6000 PPM.
2. We have anaerobic (UASB) followed by aerobic system.
3. We feed to anaerobic reactor only 20 % of the total water load.
4. After aerobic the COD is around 120 PPM only and we do UF and RO after coagulation & filtration and works fine always.
5. when ever we find ethylene glycol passage to cooling water from our process cooler, the cooling water COD increases to 10000 PPM from 100 PPM.
6. Through blow down all water comes to ETP and increases COD in ETP plant drastically and disturb the ETP process.
7. It take roughly one month to normalize the plant.
Is there any method to reduce sudden increase of COD level due to ethylene glycol?
Kindly anyone can suggest?
Production manager - UAE