-----

"Sterling silver sold as white gold"

Q. I purchased a bracelet from a large reputable company. I was told it was white gold and they gave me the sticker which states white gold. Being curious, I was looking at the back of the bracelet and noticed writing on the clasp. It is stamped 925. I know 925 refers to sterling silver. I was misled or outright lied to. More important is white gold stronger, longer lasting, or is the price the difference between white gold and silver?

Monica Lawrence
Hobbyist, consumer no technical knowledge - Tacoma, Washington USA
^

simultaneous May 13, 2016

A. Hi Monica,
As the stamp on the item says, you have been sold sterling silver.
White gold is an alloy mix of metals including gold nickel and palladium and other metals.
So it still does the same job none the less of looking silvery and reflective.
The company should, of course, be more honest in it's advertising, but I would say you didn't get a bad deal all the same.
Best regards
Mark

Mark Lees
- Isle of Man, Great Britain
^

A. Hello Monica, there is a possibility that just the clasp is sterling and the bracelet is gold. If the bracelet is gold it will be marked on the underside of the bracelet. If you don't see any markings such as "14kt", then the whole bracelet is sterling. White gold will not tarnish, sterling will. Gold is much more expensive than silver. If you paid for a 14kt white gold bracelet, you should get it! I would take it back right away.

Process Engineering - Phoenix, Arizona USA
^

thumbs up signThank you both for responding. I would return the bracelet except I got it at what I consider to be a good price and I really like it. Luckily, it hasn't tarnished yet. I feel a bit more educated now so thank you both for your response, it is very much appreciated.

Monica Lawrence [returning]
- Tacoma, Washington USA
^