Twin Moulded Non Conducting Plastic Also Getting Plated.

(2000)

We have received a twin material ABS - polycarbonate logo to be Satin nickel plated only on the grey ABS portion.

Our problem is that the blue polycarbonate, supposedly nonconducting material is also getting partially / fully covered with plating.

What are we doing wrong; is it the chromic acid etch, or the silver nitrate based activation or the electroless copper.

How can we avoid coating the blue polycarbonate ?

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind supporting advertiser
Bangalore, Karnataka, India

saify logo

Electroless Copper and Nickel-Phosphorous Plating

Electroless Plating
Mallory & Hajdu

Hi, KV.

I think the only real difference between ABS and polycarbonate from a plating perspective is that ABS etches better for better adhesion of the plating; there is nothing inherent in the polycarbonate that prevents it from becoming activated and getting plated. I haven't worked on a similar job, so I could be completely wrong, but I don't think you'll solve this problem through chemistry adjustments, but only by masking at some point.

But I am not familiar with silver nitrate being a part of an ABS plating cycle. As far as I know, you use palladium seed chemistry for electroless copper or nickel, not silver nitrate.