How to get Metallic or Pearl Finish on Lamp

(2000)

Hi, I refinish antiques for fun, having some trouble with latest project. Need advice re: how to resurface an old desk lamp = deco style (steel base, goose neck). I stripped the gray paint and now want to repaint it. The paint needs to withstand the heat of the light bulb. I'd like to paint it a metallic or pearl. I thought of car paint, that's the type look I'm after, would have to take it to someone, could be expensive proposition. I live in NYC. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks,

Kerry M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- NY, New York

A. You can get fancy spray paints out of a little shaker can these days, Kerry. With a little patience and a number of thin spray coats, it's certainly something the average person can do. And while light bulbs get hot, I don't think you would need a special high temperature manifold paint or ceramic paint for a light bulb housing. Maybe Pearlescent Accent Paint [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] would give you the look you seek.