Nickel oxide plating for alkaline water electrolytic cells

Q. How can I have nickel oxide plating on stainless steel? And which of nickel plating or nickel oxide plating would be better for membranes in an alkaline water electrolytic cell?

arpit goyal
- gurgaon,haryana,india

A. Hi Arpit. Your question is welcome, but it's very difficult to get answers to a question of the form "I don't know what I want to do, but I'd like you to tell me exactly how to do it" :-)

Our readers know a great deal about metal finishing processes including nickel plating, but they may not know the theoretical requirements of the ideal membrane parameters for alkaline water electrolytic cells. Apologies, but I personally am completely lost. Are you plating the membranes or, if not, and you are just plating the stainless electrodes, how does the plating hurt or hinder the membranes and make them "better"? Thanks.

Q. Sorry, I messed up two things. I want to have nickel or nickel oxide plating over electrodes. And electrodes are made up of stainless steel. I would like it if I would get info about the difference in the properties of both so that I would be able to differentiate which is better.
Thank You.

arpit goyal [returning]
- gurgaon, haryana, india

A. Hi again. Thanks for the clarifications. Nickel can be electroplated onto the stainless steel from conventional aqueous plating baths. You'll probably want to start with a Wood's Nickel Strike to get proper adhesion on the stainless steel, and follow that with electroplating from a sulfamate nickel plating bath. All metals except the precious metals oxidize, so the surface will be nickel oxide to some small degree which will increase with time.

Nickel oxide is not electroplateable (you can't electrodeposit it), but it may be possible to deposit it via a PVD process; I'm not sure about that.

thumbs up signThanks a lot sir.

arpit goyal [returning]
- gurgaon,haryana,india