Want to dissolve broken steel bit in stainless steel part with nitric acid

Q. I need to remove a steel drill bit that is broken off in a larger stainless steel clevis pin. The bit is broken just inside the stainless and unfortunately was the start of a removal effort, so I am stuck working with the pin where it is (stuck in the machine, of course). I want to use HNO3 to dissolve the steel bit.

I am wondering if an acid bath could be used, and possibly accelerated by passing DC current through the broken bit. I would build a reservoir and seal around the drilled hole with RTV silicone, fill with HNO3, and connect a DC source to the back of the pin (accessible) and to a stainless electrode in the HNO3 solution. I am not sure which direction to send the current.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Steve Fisk
amateur - Valencia, California, USA

A. Seems like the bit to be dissolved should be the anode?

Steve Fisk [returning]
- Valencia, California, USA

A. Citric acid would be safer to work with and will still attack the tool steel without affecting the stainless.

Electricity seems like it should be more of a last resort here, acid alone ought to do fine, but if you end up doing that, you want the metal connected to the positive (+) lead with the negative (-) lead accessible to the drill bit through the electrolyte solution or a sponge/cloth/etc. that is damp with electrolyte solution.

ray kremer

thumbs up signThank you Ray. I'll reply with how it goes.

Steve

steve fisk [returning]
- Valencia, California, USA