Will Inductive Anode Destroy the Plating Additives?

e What can happen if you use an inductive anode in a sulphuric copper, sulphuric zinc or a nickel solution? I believe the inductive current will destroy the additives. But I'm not sure.

Anders

Anders Sundman
Anders Sundman
4th Generation Surface Engineering
Consultant - Arvika, Sweden

? Hi Anders. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the term "inductive anode". Is this what I might call a "bipolar anode" -- a piece of metal that runs from close to the anodes to close to the cathodes, but is not connected to either?

Also membrane anode is the right term for it.
The membrane anodes have a net out side of it, and it's not connected to a current. But I belieive the inductive current will destroy the additive in the solution. I hope some people have more experience with it than me.

Anders Sundman
Anders Sundman
4th Generation Surface Engineering
Consultant - Arvika, Sweden

A. It will definitely destroy some nickel brighteners, but I'm not sure it has the same effect on copper and zinc plating baths.

Zinc is often plated in an alkaline bath with insoluble steel anodes with no apparent problems, and copper is electroformed with insoluble anodes, also without any apparent problems.

Lyle Kirman
consultant - Cleveland Heights, Ohio

A. If we are talking about membrane anodes (instead of inductive anodes) it is worth remembering two essential points.
First, the mesh/net inside of the membrane anode is usually made of plastics.
Second, the mesh/net material is absolutely neutral for the galvanic bath because it is just separated from the bath by the membrane and immersed in pure anolyte.

From the assumption, organic additives cannot penetrate the membrane.

JANUSZ LABEDZ
AUROTECH - Warsaw, Poland