Plasma pretreat for metallization process on Polycarbonate material

Q. I am the new quality manager at a injection molding company that metallizes some of our parts. I do not have any polymer background (metallurgy background only). Materials used are Lexan for this automobile light application, Aluminum is the material we are applying on the base material.
These parts are blown off with non-static air, put onto the racks for mounting in the machine. These parts are masked by placing them in the mask container.
Parts that have been processed with both a pretreat and no pretreat (monomer with plasma).
Our issues with the parts are lack of adhesion (not all the time) and sporadic failure of caustic test (KOH). Parts visually show a good surface to a "burned" surface (foggy &/or blue tint). What causes the burned/foggy/blue tint affect?
When using a pretreat with a plasma panel, how do you determine the length of time to ensure proper treatment.
I am attempting to trouble shoot this I feel it has something to do with the pretreat, or lack there of.
All input is greatly appreciated.
John

John Low
- Portland, Indiana

? I have many questions and no answer! I suppose the parts in question are head light reflectors. What is Lexan and what is the process of metallization being used? Are you using an atmospheric plasma devise or a low pressure plasma? And why some parts are not plasma treated? And what is KOH test -- doesn't KOH attack Al?

H.R. Prabhkara
Bangalore Plasmatek - Bangalore, Karnataka, India