What is "zero cross time" for electroplating?

Q. I just started working in the plating. Now I have read about the technique sheet of plating. It's a phrase " Zero cross time". I do not understand the meaning and the importance of it. Please help me.

Ms Hiranya Khoomkhainum
- Thailand

A. It looks like a power requirement. Google is amazing with terms if you place quotations around them. Doing so will bring up many definitions, but this link is a good one: ccipower.com/support/resources/technical-reference/control-firing-modes

(an extract from above link)--

Zero-cross definition Fauna Tester
- Seattle, Washington, USA

A. Hi. I remember years back, that when designing electronics circuits, we always used "zero crossing" triacs (electronic relays), because there was much less electronic noise propagated if you waited (never more than 1/120 of a second) to turn the AC devices on or off when the voltage was at zero than interrupting it when the voltage was high on the sine wave. But I'm not immediately seeing the connection to plating -- perhaps something to do with how to manage pulse plating or when to turn the rectifiers off

A. Hi,
The context might be solderability. If so, zero cross time on the wetting balance test is the time it takes the solder to wet the surface (transition from non-wetting to wetting).
Search "solderability wetting balance" for details.

Tom ODea
- Madison, Connecticut

help wanted ad
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]
Plating Supervisor [Chicago]
Plating Quality Inspector [Chicago]