Creating patina on vintage metal seam roofing

Q. My home was built in the late 1940's and has a great metal seam "portico" over the main doorway. It is black metal seam. My roof is new and is blue! These two greatly clash and I want to preserve the original metal seam without replacing it. It is small, but quaint. I have thought about adding a patina to the metal seam to lessen the contrast between the black and the blue roof. I have several questions:

1. How do I find out exactly what type of metal was used for the portico? It does not have an existing aged "patina" - it is plain black but old.

2. I'm thinking a patina towards the blue-green would look great. What is the best way to do this over the black? (especially since the metal does not appear to be copper). I know there are all kinds of "kits" available but most seem to apply to jewelry makers etc.

I'm emailing a pic of my home so you can get a better idea. :)

metal seam portico

Bethany Fields
Home Owner - Amarilo, Texas, United States

A. Hi Bethany. You have a cute daughter and a gorgeous house. Please do you yourself the favor of shopping for a good outdoor paint of the right color instead of trying to get this unknown old metal to react with some chemical to produce the right color. Nobody will even know whether it's paint or patina.

help wanted ad
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]
Plating Supervisor [Chicago]
Plating Quality Inspector [Chicago]