Difference between Electroplated Nickel to BS3382 vs. BS1224

Q. Hi

I'm in the process of doing some reverse engineering on some bolts and have found the coating specified variously to BS3382 Pt3 or BS1224 with de-embrittling to follow in both cases.

Bolt material is standard 8.8 or 12.9 high tensile steel.

What, if anything, is the difference between the two systems so I know what to ask the plater for?

Regards and thanks.

Tris Summers
- UK

A. Hi Tris. This is not a subtle difference. My understanding is that BS1224 is nickel plating and BS3382 is zinc plating. After you decide which of these two you want, there are additional choices to be made like thickness, type of conversion coating, etc. Good luck.

A. Hi Tris,

I can't tell you the differences between the specifications, what I can tell you is that both BS3382 and BS1224 have been superseded. If you you go the the British Standards Online service you can find current call out.

Hi Ted,

For your info BS3382 Part 3 is indeed Nickel plating. BS3382 comes in 7 parts, 1&2 are Cadmium and Zinc, 3&4 are Nickel and chromium, 5&6 are tin and silver and 7 is Thicker Plating

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

thumbs up sign Thanks Brian. I've struck through the incorrect info I had offered.

A. Thanks Men

You've taken me a few further steps forward, but I'm beginning to understand why I've been struggling.

The way the existing requirements are defined is inconsistent!!

Hey Ho

Tris

Tris Summers
- UK