Problem in Electroless Nickel Coating on Al6061

(2000)

I use the following EN bath for Ni-B plating on Al6061:

NiCl2.6H2O, Glycin, DMAB (Dimethyl amino borane), Pb(CH3COOH),T=71 oC,pH=6.7 (adjusted by NH4OH).

The Deposition rate is 4um/hr. By increasing the concentration of Ni ions in solution, The deposition rate increases, but the morphology of the surface does change and becomes fragile. I would appreciate if somebody could give me any idea. What is the best accelerator which I can add ionto the bath to increase the deposition rate?

N.Dadvand
- Halifax, Canada

(2000)

1. Why do you use Electroless based on B? For most applications a low phosphor EN will do and it is much easier to operate.

2. I can see that you use a home made EN solution. A well balanced EN solution contains more ingredients than you use in your formulation. For a higher plating rate you will probably need a proprietary EN solution.

sara michaeli
sara michaeli signature 
Sara Michaeli
chemical process supplier
Tel-Aviv, Israel