HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 58844

Anodization of Porous Aluminium from sputtered thin films

Q. I have been making porous aluminium oxide nanostructures from aluminium thin films (sputter deposited). Things have been worked well so far. I anodize in oxalic, sulfuric, or phosphoric acid.
So my question for the expert Al anodizers, what would you expect to happen if one were to use an alloy Al with 1% Si. Would you expect that the porous aluminum structure would still be achieved in same manner as pure Al anodization? I expect it to go fine and will soon find out when I make my samples.
I just wanted to hear your opinions before I go ahead.

Cheers,

Matthew Schuster
researcher - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
contact

A. Hello Sir, there is volume change during anodization. so the addition of 1% Si will definitely distort the shape. but then it depends on Si distribution on the surface.

Balaji Umapathi
- Bhubaneswar, India